|(Image from Flickr user Brandon Warren)|
So how can you show love to your hearing aid, not only today or Valentine's Day, but every day?
- Give it a nice clean every night before bed - wipe it off with a cotton swab or a tissue.
- Don't bring them in the bathroom with you when you take a shower or a bath; keep them away from the humidity.
- Keep them protected and away from the pool while swimming.
- Take them in to your audiologist for a cleaning every three to six months or so. While you're there, ask them to change out the tubing if they don't do it as part of the cleaning.
- Check the hearing aid for wax daily and clean it out carefully - if your hearing aid manufacturer didn't give you a cleaning tool, you can try a very small wire brush, or even a thumbtack if you are careful.
- Wash and dry your hands before you change the battery.
- Brush any debris out of the battery door when you change the battery.
- If you can easily remove the earmold from any electronic components in your aid, you can try soaking it in warm water with soap for a few minutes to give it a good clean.
- Think about buying a good dehumidifier to store your aids in overnight.
- Don't get your hair wet while wearing your hearing aids, or put any goop in your hair while they're in.