|My brand of hearing aid batteries.|
I have come up with a nice tidy way to keep my hearing aid packages together (and all it took was an Altoids tin and some felt!), but I admit I'm not always super careful about disposing of my hearing aid batteries. They sometimes end up at the bottom of my purse and between my car seats - not necessarily in the trash where they belong.
However, I plan to be more careful about my batteries. This blog post from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission highlights some of the dangers surrounding "button batteries," found in hearing aids, watches, remote controls, and other small devices. According to the blog post, injuries related to button batteries have increased sevenfold since 1985. Children can accidentally swallow the batteries, and elderly people or people with poor vision can mistake them for pills. Once inside the body they can cause chemical burns or choking. I would imagine the same problems exist for animals in the home, especially since pets sometimes like to get into the trash.
With that in mind I think it is a good idea to be careful about disposing of hearing aid batteries. According to what I've read online, to be safe, button batteries should be recycled by a hazardous waste recycling program, because they contain mercury. This site can help you find a center to recycle them near you.